Besan Burfi recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Diwali celebrations are going on. Everyone is busy preparing sweets and savory dishes for the celebration.
This Diwali, I tried my hands on besan burfi. This is normally made in North India during the Diwali festival. Every year on Diwali, I make Besan Ladoo but this year, I made Besan Burfi.
My Mom makes it every year during Diwali. It’s her recipe. Though I decreased the amount of Ghee and Sugar in the recipe, still it tastes the same.
Here’s why this recipe works
This besan burfi recipe is made with less ghee and sugar. It turned out so well and tastes delicious. Besan burfi can be made easily at home with only 3 ingredients sugar, ghee/clarified butter and besan/gram flour.
Roast the besan well in ghee and then add sugar syrup to it. Mix it well and then pour the batter in a greased tray. Let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature and then cut it into square pieces. Besan burfi is ready. Let’s start making the recipe.
Besan burfi recipe | How to make besan burfi | Diwali sweets recipe
- Heavy bottom pan
To roast the Besan
- 1/2 Cup Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 2 Cup Besan/Gram flour
To make the sugar syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Chopped Nuts Cashew, Almonds, and Pistachios
First, we will roast the besan for making besan burfi recipe.
- Take Ghee/Clarified butter in a Pan. Heat it on a low flame.
- Add Besan to it. Mix besan with ghee. Stir continuously.
- Roast it on a low flame until you get a nice aroma of besan. Also, the color of besan will change to golden brown. Switch off the flame. Keep it aside.
Now, we will prepare sugar syrup for making besan burfi recipe.
- In another pan, heat sugar and water.
- Cook the sugar and water mixture until the sugar syrup reaches to one string consistency. Switch off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Now add this prepared sugar syrup to the roasted besan/gram flour. Mix vigorously to combine sugar syrup to the roasted besan/gram flour mixture.
- Pour the prepared besan burfi mixture into a greased tin. Spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on the top of the besan burfi. Let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- After 1 hour the mixture will be set. Besan burfi is ready. Cut it into squares and serve.
How to make Besan Burfi
- Grease a cake tin/plate with ghee/clarified butter. Keep it aside.
- Sift the besan flour and keep it aside.
- Chop the nuts(cashew, almonds, and pistachios).
Roast the besan/gram flour.
- Take ghee/clarified butter in a pan. Heat it on a low flame.
- Add besan to it & mix besan with ghee. Stir continuously.
- In the beginning, you will see that the mixture looks dry and lumps are forming. The besan will absorb all the ghee.
- Stir it continuously.
- Roast it on a low flame until you get a nice aroma of besan.
- Also, the color of besan will change to golden brown.
- Slowly after 20-25 minutes, the ghee will start to ooze out of the mixture. This is the stage to stop roasting.
- Switch off the flame and keep it aside.
Making sugar syrup for the burfi
- In another pan, heat sugar and water on the medium flame.
- After sometime, the sugar will get dissolved completely.
- Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now keep an eye on the mixture.
- Put a drop of sugar syrup on a plate. Let it cool down a little bit.
- Check it with your thumb and index finger.
- If one string is forming, the sugar syrup is ready. Switch off the flame.
- Now add cardamom powder and mix it.
Making the besan burfi
- Now add this prepared sugar syrup to the roasted besan/gram flour mixture.
- Mix vigorously to combine sugar syrup to the besan/gram flour mixture.
- You will see the mixture looks thin and runny but as the sugar syrup cools down the mixture will become thick.
- While the mixture is runny, put it in a greased tin/plate. Spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts on the top of the besan burfi. Press it gently on the burfi mixture. Let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Roasting the besan perfectly is the key to make perfect besan burfi recipe. If your besan is not roasted well, it will taste bitter and if it is over roasted, then also, it will spoil the taste if the burfi.
- While roasting the besan, if you find the mixture looks dry, add 1 tsp of ghee.
- While checking the sugar syrup, put a drop of sugar syrup on the plate. Let it cool a little bit then only touch it to test for one string consistency.
- Do not overcook the sugar syrup. If the sugar syrup is overcooked then the besan burfi will become hard.
- If you find that the besan burfi mixture is not set well after 1 hour then it means sugar syrup is not cooked till one string consistency. Transfer the mixture again to the pan and reheat it.
Please leave your valuable suggestions, feedback or any query related to the recipe in the comment box. If you make this recipe in any other way, do share your tips and suggestions to make it better. Till then enjoy your day………Happy Cooking 🙂