Mirchi ka salan recipe | How to make Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. Mirchi ka Salan is generally served as a side dish with Biryani. You can enjoy it with any biryani either chicken biryani or egg biryani. It can also be enjoyed with Veg Biryani or with Roti/Chapati as a side dish.
What is Mirchi Ka Salan?
Mirchi ka salan is basically a curry made with green chilies. Chilies are then deseeded and lightly fried in oil. Select the chilies that are not too hot or less spicy variety.
The gravy is prepared with peanuts, desiccated coconut, and Sesame Seeds. The paste of these is then cooked with some spices and tamarind paste. Addition of tamarind paste to this recipe gives it a tangy flavor. The gravy is hot, spicy, tangy and aromatic too.
Mirchi ka Salan is made in different ways in different parts of India. In fact, the basic ingredients are more or less similar however there are variations in the style of preparing it.
The best part of this recipe is that it has a soft creamy texture and is so aromatic that you must give it a try. If you are deseeding the chilies, you will not find this gravy too spicy. In this post, I am sharing the way I make Mirchi ka Salan at home.
Mirchi ka salan recipe | How to make Hyderabadi Mirchi ka salan recipe
- Heavy bottom pan or wok
For the paste:
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 Cup peanuts
- 1/4 Cup sesame seeds
- 7-10 green chilies
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds/Kalonji
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 medium size onions sliced
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 Cup tamarind paste
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- First, dry roast peanuts till black spots start to appear on them and skin starts to peel off. Once cooled, remove the skin of peanuts and keep it aside. This step is optional you can use it with skin too to make the paste.
- Next, dry roast desiccated coconut till light brown & then add sesame seeds to it and dry roast them till golden brown.
- Once cooled, add little water and grind them(peanuts, desiccated coconut and sesame seeds) to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for about 30 minutes. Squeeze the pulp and keep it aside.
- Rinse the green chilies and wipe it dry with a kitchen cloth. Use chilies that are not too spicy. Keep the chili crown intact and slit it vertically. Be careful not to break them apart. Deseed the green chilies. It helps to reduce the heat of chilies. But if you prefer spicy then you can keep the seeds.
- Heat oil. Fry the chilies until light brown. Drain out the excess oil on a kitchen tissue paper. Keep it aside. Make sure the oil should not be too hot.
- In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, nigella seeds/Kalonji, and fenugreek seeds. Saute till mustard seeds pop.
- Now add sliced onions and curry leaves. Do not skip curry leaves, the addition of curry leaves gives it an authentic flavor. Saute till onion changes its color to golden brown. Or if you have prepared fried onions for biryani then you can add fried onions directly here.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute it for 2 minutes.
- Now to it add Kashmiri red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute.
- Pour in the ground paste. add 2 cups of water and stir it well. The consistency will look thin but when it starts to cook the gravy will thicken. Then add salt and tamarind pulp and stir well.
- Cover and cook for around 20-25 minutes on a low medium flame. Cook till oil starts to float on the surface. Keep stirring it in between to avoid burning from the bottom.
- Finally, add in fried green chilies and garam masala. Mix it. Cover & cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve Mirchi ka Salan hot with Hyderabadi biryani or enjoy with roti/chapati.
- Follow the measurements.
Please leave your valuable suggestions, feedback or any query related to the recipe in the comment box. Moreover, if you make this recipe in any other way, do share your tips and suggestions to make it better. Till then enjoy your day………Happy Cooking 🙂