Crunchy Asian slaw recipe – This easy Asian slaw is made with shredded cabbage & other vegetables.
This purple cabbage Asian salad has all the beautiful colors & flavors with perfect crunchiness. You can serve this Asian slaw as a side dish or salad.
Do you think salads are boring? This healthy coleslaw recipe will change your perception about salads.
This Crunchy Asian slaw recipe is vegan, healthy & is made without mayonnaise.
Also, this easy Asian slaw has a perfect balance of flavors – tangy, sweet & a slightly spicy kick.
You can make it ahead of time & leftovers can be stored easily in the refrigerator.
Table of Contents
What is an Asian slaw?
Asian Slaw is a salad made from shredded cabbage & other vegetables. Cabbage is the main ingredient to make the slaw.
You can also call it Cabbage Salad. Serve it as a salad or side dish.
- Quick & easy to make – You can make this crunchy Asian slaw within 30-minutes.
- Make-ahead recipe – You can make it ahead of time & keep it in the refrigerator.
- Easy to customize – You can add the vegetables that are easily available & make the salad dressing as per your taste.
- Vegan – No need to add eggs or chicken. It tastes awesome with veggies.
For Asian Slaw dressing:
- Olive oil – Olive oil has its own flavor & adds healthy fats to the salad.
- Lemon Juice – It gives a fresh flavor to the salad. If not available, you can substitute it with vinegar.
- Vinegar – I have used rice wine vinegar. It gives a tangy punch to the taste buds.
- Flavoring – Honey, ginger, garlic, salt, black pepper powder, soy sauce & sriracha (or use red pepper flakes). Sriracha is optional. If you like it spicy then only add it.
For making Asian Slaw:
- Vegetables – Cabbage (red & green cabbage), bell peppers (red, yellow & green), carrots & spring onions.
- Cilantro – It gives a fresh flavor to the salad.
- Peanuts – Roasted & crushed peanuts. It adds crunchiness to the salad.
- Sesame seeds – Roasted sesame seeds. Adds a little crunch & flavor to the salad.
For the detailed list of ingredients & their measurements, please check out the recipe card below.
- Tastes best when served cold – After making the slaw, cover with a cling wrap & refrigerate for an hour. It tastes best when served chill. Also, the slaw gets enough time to soak the flavors from the salad dressing.
- Roast the peanuts – Roast the peanuts until black spots start to appear. Let it cool down completely. Remove the skin & then crush it. Crush it to a coarse texture. It should not be a fine powder.
- Roast the sesame seeds – Roast the sesame seeds on low heat until it starts to pop-up. Roasting brings out the best flavors & crunchiness.
How to make Crunchy Asian Slaw
Step 1: Take a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients mentioned under the salad dressing. (image 1 & 2)
Step 2: Add vegetables, cilantro, peanuts & sesame seeds. (image 3)
Step 3: Toss all the ingredients together. Taste & adjust the seasoning. (image 4)
Step 4: Cover with a cling wrap & refrigerate for an hour. Or serve it immediately.
Variations that you can try:
- You can add the vegetables of your choice. Add boiled corns, boiled peas or fresh sprouts, etc.
- Add some sesame oil to this Asian slaw. It adds a unique flavor to the salad.
To Refrigerate Asian Slaw
- Transfer the leftover salad in an air-tight container & store it in the refrigerator. Consume it within 2 days.
- If you are planning to make ahead – Chop & keep all the vegetables separately in an airtight container (Do not add coriander leaves). Prepare the dressing separately in another container. Toss it together just before serving it.
- Add coriander leaves when you are tossing it. It loses its color & freshness if chopped ahead of time.
- Roast the peanuts & sesame seeds & keep it in an airtight container. Toss in peanut & sesame seeds when you are serving it. Do not add it earlier to the slaw. It will lose its crunch.
Best Asian Slaw recipe
Crunchy Asian Slaw | Easy Asian red cabbage slaw (without mayonnaise)
To make Asian slaw dressing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha or use red pepper flakes (optional)
To make Asian Slaw
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded
- 1 cup green cabbage shredded
- ½ yellow bell pepper sliced
- ½ red bell pepper sliced
- ½ green bell pepper sliced
- 1 carrot cut into thin strips or you can grate it
- 2 spring onion whites sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)
- spring onion greens
- 1/4 cup roasted & crushed peanuts
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- Take a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients mentioned under the salad dressing.
- Add vegetables, cilantro, peanuts & sesame seeds.
- Toss all the ingredients together. Taste & adjust the seasoning.
- Cover with a cling wrap & refrigerate for an hour. Or serve immediately.
- You can make the dressing in advance & let it chill in the refrigerator. The dressing may firm up when kept it the refrigerator. Take it out 30 minutes before making the salad. Let it come to room temperature. Shake it well before use.
- Leftovers stay good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container.
- Add 1-2 tsp of sesame oil to the salad. Sesame oil has its own flavor & adds a charm to the salad.